Thursday, April 14, 2011

Part 11


 I may to foolish things, but at least I do them with enthusiasm.

A few hours later, after James and Arthur had met back up with Cal, they found themselves back in Rome. Cal had made some excuse about the Inn not being good enough and he needed a five-star hotel. Also, that if Emily wasn’t there, what was the use of staying. Arthur suspected it had more to do with painful memories than needing a gold plated bathtub.
Cal drove them to a hotel and left the car with the valet. Arthur and James, who could never hold a grudge against Cal, followed the billionaire to the elevator. He had apparently called while Arthur was helping James. Or he has a regular room always ready for him, Arthur mused. The ride up was as awkward as the ride back had been. Cal had never apologized for anything in his life and he wasn’t about to start now. James had forgiven Cal, but wouldn’t ever tell him that and Arthur didn’t know what to say to either.
They got out of the elevator, but Cal stopped them and walked to the end of the hall to peek around the corner. He motioned for Arthur and James to join him.
 About halfway down the hallway stood a man, dressed immaculately in Armani. Or what Arthur assumed was Armani. He looked to be a few inches shorter than Arthur’s six foot one frame. He had short dirty blond hair cropped close to his head, military style. He looked as if he hadn’t shaved recently and as if he had more weapons on him than Air Force One.
“Who’s the hottie with the bulging bicepts?” James asked.
“Chad Moran,” Cal answered with a slight sigh. “Hired hitman slash bodyguard of sorts.”
“Oh great. That’s wonderful!” Arthur said sarcastically.
James and Cal looked at him in surprise.
“What? Am I not allowed to be sarcastic?” Arthur replied anger tingeing his voice. Why am I angry? Too much time in cramped quarters with these two maybe.
Cal had a bemused smile on his face and James held up his hands in defense before peeking around the corner.
“His muscles are huge, but not in a scary gross steroid kind of way,” James said.
“Focus, James. We are not talking about his looks,” Arthur said. “How are we going to get past him?”
Cal pointed in Chad’s general direction. “Someone needs to distract him.”
            “How are we doing to do that? None of us are women,” Arthur pointed out.
            “How do you know that’s how he swings?” Cal replied, his eyebrow raised, a smirk gracing his features.
            James smiled. “Is he really? I could seduce him. He’s hot. Look at those muscles. I think he may be more muscle-y than you,” he said to Arthur.
            Arthur peeked around the corner and shook his head vehemently. “No, he’s not.”
            “Are you kidding me? He looks like he was made out of pure testosterone without all the hair,” James replied.
            “So James,” Cal said clapping James on the lower back. “Are you up for this?”
            James glanced around the corner and nodded vigorously. “Hell yeah.”
            Cal gave him a nudge around the corner. “Then get to it.”
            James waltz out into the hallway with a grin on his face.
            Arthur turned to Cal. “Are you sure Moran’s gay?”
            “Oh, I know he’s not. Chad Moran is very straight.”
            “What? And you let James go out there?!” Arthur said. “I’m bigger and stronger. I could have taken him.”
            Cal nodded and grinned. “I know, but this is funnier and will make a good distraction. Now, shut up.”
            Arthur grumbled, but did as he was told. The two frenemies watched silently as James walked up to Chad swaying his hips slightly. Arthur strained to hear what James was saying to Chad, but they were too far down the hall and talking in voices too low for him to hear.
            Cal snickered quietly. “Stupid homo.”
            “What? What’s going on?” Arthur asked.
            “You can’t hear them?”
            Arthur shook his head. “No, too far away.”
            “Chad is just too damn straight and he’s a trained assassin.” Cal paused thoughtfully. “And he’s probably banging Sabrina.”
            “And you’re okay with that?” Arthur asked surprised.
            “It’s not like I can do anything. Plus, have you seen him? I’m a flaming heterosexual and I’d tap that.”
            Arthur snorted and looked around the corner. “They’re coming! Crap! What do we do?”
            Cal looked startled before screwing up his face trying to think of something fast.
            “Hurry! I can hear them coming,” Arthur whispered.
            “Shut up!” Cal pulled Arthur against him and threw his arms around Arthur’s neck burying Arthur’s face in Cal’s neck and his face in Arthur’s neck just as James and Chad rounded the corner. James stopped dead in his tracks his mouth open in astonishment.
            “I… What… Why?” James said.
            Chad walked back from where he had stopped. “What’s going on? It’s some people making out.” He grabbed James’s bicep. “Are we going to get that beer? Or did you want to stand here and show me that you’re into voyeurism?”
            Arthur took a deep breath and blew it out slowly trying to stay calm. The adrenaline was starting to make his six foot one inch body cramp from bending down to Cal’s much shorter level.
            Cal shivered. “Don’t do that,” he hissed in Arthur’s ear and gritted his teeth.
            Arthur scrunched his face and tried not to move as James finally closed his mouth and followed Chad’s insistent pull. As soon as the freakishly tall man had vanished down the hall, Arthur rolled off Cal and sank to the floor his back to the wall.
            Cal looked at him and sneered. “What? You’ve never been that close to someone as hot as me before?”
            “No, I’ve never been that close to getting my life taken away,” Arthur said his hand over his heart.
            “So, you are saying that my bear I sent after Sabrina all those months ago didn’t scare you at all.” Cal said crossing his arms.
            Arthur rolled his eyes. “You know it did.”
            “I know. That’s why it wasn’t a question.” Cal looked after James and Chad. “Ya know, I didn’t actually think that would work. Apparently, I’m smarter than I think I am.”
            “No, you just got lucky.” Arthur stood up. “Come on, let’s go see if the vampire has Emily.”
            “I also need to talk to Sabrina.”
Cal and Arthur walked down the hall to where Chad had been standing guard. They stopped in front of the door and Arthur took a deep breath. He took hold of the door handle and turned. He stepped forward and almost ran into the door as it was locked.
            “Have you never stayed in a hotel?” Cal shook his head. “Sometimes I think you’re as dumb as James and that worries me. You need a key to get in, moonbrain.”
            “Moonbrain?”
            “Yeah, anytime I call you something weird, just go with it,” Cal said and pulled a keycard out of his back pocket.
            Arthur pointed at it, confusion written across his face. “What is- How did you—” He hesitated and closed his mouth. “Do it with the desk clerk once?”
            Cal scoffed. “No, I don’t need to sleep with everyone to get my way, Arthur. I’m just that extraordinary.”
            “Sure, sure…” Arthur moved out of the way to let Cal open the door.
            Cal took a deep breath, his hand on the handle.
            “You sure you want to do this?” Arthur asked. I don’t know if Cal will be okay after this. The vampire isn’t Sabrina even if he thinks it is.
            Cal nodded. “Yes, I’m positive.” He turned the knob and opened the door. It opened into a suite. Cal nudged Arthur into the room.
            Arthur hesitantly stepped into the room and looked around. The living room area was clear of people. The couches, coffee tables and giant flat screen were almost glisteningly clean. It looked as if no one had been there since the maid had cleaned.
            “It’s clear,” Arthur said.
            Cal stepped into the room and looked around. “You check the kitchen, I’ll check the bedroom.”
            Arthur nodded, Of course you’d pick the bedroom, and walked into the kitchen area. It was to the left of the living room through a small doorway. As he walked in, it was clear that no one had been in this room either. He decided to check the cupboards anyway.
            “Hello? Vampire?” He whistled like he was calling a dog and smiled to himself. He opened all the cupboards and shrugged. I knew she wasn’t here. None of these cupboards are very big so unless someone was in pieces…He let the though drift off. Arthur looked at the small cupboards trying not to imagine Emily in tiny pieces, leaking out on the floor toward his shoes.
            Arthur took a deep breath and walked out of the room away from the imaginary blood. He crossed the living room and saw Cal standing in the doorway to the bedroom. He walked up behind him and put his hands on Cal’s shoulder.
            Cal jumped and blushed a pale peach color.
            “You okay?” Arthur asked.
            “Yeah. Let’s go.” Cal opened the door all the way and stopped in his tracks.
            Emily was tied to the bed. Her arms were anchored to the headboard with sharp metal handcuffs. Her legs were tied to the baseboard with sturdy string. She was blindfolded and gagged. She was almost perfectly still and her skin was pasty white.
            “Is she dead?” Cal whispered.
            Arthur walked over and felt her neck – very cold – for a pulse. “It’s there, but it’s very weak.”
            “We need to get her to the hospital,” Cal responded and walked over to the bed. He grabbed the handcuffs and forced one open. “Get the twine.”
            Arthur stepped over to the foot of the bed and started untying the string. It seemed to be easier to try and untie it from the baseboard since the string was digging into Emily’s ankles. Cal gently pulled off the blindfold and Emily started struggling and shaking her head.
            “Cal, can you hold her still so I can undo this?” Arthur asked trying to undo the knots Sabrina had tied.
            “I’m a little busy right now,” he replied trying to take the gag out of Emily’s mouth. He eventually glared at her and succeeded in removing the material.
            “No! It’s a trap! You’re not supposed to be here! Hurry leave before she comes back!” Emily pleaded. “Tie me back up and leave.”
            “I come all the way to Italy, wander around the countryside for a day, get molested by Arthur and you want me to leave you here? I don’t think so.” Call pulled the other handcuff open.
            Arthur untied the twine from the bed leaving it wound tightly around Emily’s ankles.
            Cal helped her up and gave her his long coat to warm her. He rubbed her arms. “Are you okay to walk?”
            “I- I think so, but you need to leave.” She pushed him away as much as she could. “Hurry before she comes back.” Emily pleaded with the billionaire.
            “No. I’m half-vampire. I could kick her ass. I have to get you to a hospital.”
            A quiet click sounded outside the room. Arthur stepped back into the doorway and looked at the main door. I thought I heard the door open, but it’s still closed so apparently not. Arthur shrugged. He leaned against the door frame and watched Emily and Cal argue. He figured they had enough time before James and Chad came back for the two to get this out of their systems before they made their escape.
            “You’re only half-vampire, Cal. She’s a fully-fledged vampire and has been for weeks. Sabrina is much more practiced and stronger than you.”
            “I’m sneakier.”
            “She could kill you with her pinky toe.” Emily’s eyes had started to fill with tears.
            “She’s right you know,” a voice said.

Author's Note: Sorry this is much later than the last chapter was posted. I will try and get the next chapter up sooner. Please tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment